Monday, February 13, 2012

Monster Work Rally!


Monday! Monday! Monday! Monster work rally! Watch cement blocks fly through the air.
            Sand is sifted- pure as silk

                        Concrete is smashed!

Rubble is tossed.

And…
            The man with the pickaxe, the smasher, the pulverizer, the DOUGMIESTER!

Kids are half price. Fancy, pseudo, hard-hats for all. Don’t miss this once in a lifetime event. You can buy the whole seat but you’ll only need…

                                    THE EDGE!

Today I went with others to work at the hospital. This hospital has been in progress for at least ten years and has been growing floor by floor. The third floor is built but very rough and the fourth floor is still in progress.



I’m going to be honest, when it comes to mission trips I would much rather be working with people, interacting with people, than doing manual labor. These soft, supple hands are not meant for hard work. I feel that people work hard at something that may or may not have a purpose and then leave saying that they have accomplished so much because they have built a wall. Wow, building walls for Jesus.

Today I hauled cement for Jesus, and I can’t say that I feel as if I have had an impact on individuals. The lack of connection makes this work difficult. I should say that it is good to work with the other people on the team, to connect with them and to get to know them better. That is a worthwhile experience. Yet in the big picture, I’m not a construction guy.

So I have to remind myself what the hospital is about. Haitians do not have support or rights in this part of the Dominican Republic. This hospital was built to offer help to Haitians, medical help. So this hospital is important.

I am a part of the mission of this hospital and the work it is doing to help the many Haitians and Dominicans who need medical assistance. I am a part of the mission to the least of a society. It is a very, very small part, but it is a part nonetheless. Who am I to say that what I do is not important? Who am I to say that what I do is vital? All I can say is that I am a part of a profound ministry of God.

The important thing is that I do not adopt an attitude that the hospital could not exist without me. That is when ministry becomes arrogant. It could exist without me. I am not essential to the future and/or existence of the hospital. So I am humbled to take part in this ministry. It is a privilege to be able to help.

 Gee, two days in a row of being humbled. Maybe I should change the name of my blog.

No comments: