Monday, February 20, 2012

La Romana 2012 - The Gripping Conclusion!


I’m now back in the States, trying to readjust to the privileged and “normal” life that I left for those seven or eight days (who knows?). I have returned to showering with my mouth open, drinking the water, and throwing my toilet paper into the toilet. Ahh the good life.

I know I am supposed to make one great, final post drawing some kind of reflective conclusion to the whole trip. The strings will begin to play, and you will hear my voice-over as a montage of the trip shows on the video screen. Can you picture it?

“I have been told again and again how lucky I am to be an American, but it isn’t until you leave the country that you…” (sound of record scratching)

I’m not going to do that. It is too happy and neat.

I don’t think there is a happy conclusion. There are still thousands of struggling Haitians in the Dominican Republic living in abject poverty, slavery conditions in the bateyes. There is still a tremendous amount of work to do on the hospital – many, many more piles of sand to move and cement blocks to stack.

 As a side note, the last day I helped to sweep and clear out a lot of rubble from the third floor putting it into a very big rubble pile. To the group that has to clean out that pile – the solitary banana peel is mine. Sorry.

So there still is a lot of work to do – we are not done.

On top of that, one trip does not make me a better, more profound Christian. It does not assure me entrance into heaven (nothin’ but the grace of Jesus). I need to continue to work on finding God in moments of frustration as well as moments of grace. I need to continue to trust that the work I do is a part of something bigger even if I do not see the results. I need to continue to pray, read scripture, and try to make some sense out of my place in the mess we call the world.

There is a lot of work to do – I am not done.

So there will not be a neat voice-over conclusion with strings and a sappy montage. Instead I hope to leave my avid followers somewhat unsettled. We all have work to do. Get up off your lazy a** and get back to work!

Me, I am going to go and stand in a hot shower with my mouth open, drinking in the “safe” water and returning to my “safe” life.

Thanks for following me on this journey and keep coming back. Sometimes I write other posts that are interesting without me traveling out of the country. Remember, go to the La Romana blog to see other reflections, much more serious than mine.

No comments: