Sunday, February 12, 2012

La Romana 2012- Day Two - All Preaching, All Day, All Loud!


Day two in glorious La Romana

This Sunday started with church… no surprise. Our group split up – half went to have communion at one batey and anther went to have a plain ole’ worship service at a different batey. I was with the latter. The plan was for another pastor and me to lead the service complete with a grad A, Jonathan Malone, bring em’ to Jesus, sermon.

When we got there we found that we would be working with a local pastor who gave us the tour, showed us the church, then started the church service. He preached. He reminded us that in the Dominican Republic there are many, many black people. I was not ready to face that reality. He reminded us that we (Americans) have a black president. I was blown away with that news.

Skepticism aside, his point was that we are all of God’s children despite our skin color. To me it may seem like an obvious message, but one that is important. Perhaps the message was not only for me but also for the people there who may not be used to seeing white people. We do look kinda weird and are kinda scary.

It was a heartfelt service even without my patented, grade A, Jonathan Malone, bring em’ to Jesus, sermon. I’ll save that sermon for next Sunday.

The batey was what I expected and at the same time took me by surprise. I remember the poverty from the last time I was here, but memory blocks some of the details that emphasize the suffering. We were reminded that the children can only go to school up to a certain age (around 12 or 13) and then they go to work in the fields. That if they are lucky enough to go to high school they will not be allowed to go to college. There are very little possibilities to get out of the batey. There are very little possibilities to make life better. Hope for them is something that I do not understand. I have hope for a better life for my children, my wife, and me, but I don’t know if the people who live in the bateyes have that hope. What hope can one have where it does not seem that there is anywhere to go?

The pastor preached about being ready for Christ to call you home (read-heaven) or to return (read – rapture, end-times stuff). The pastor at church this morning preached that we need to be ready for either at any time. This is not a message I often preach, if at all. It tends to be apocalyptic and gloomy and a little to strong with hell and devil stuff for me. Frankly, it makes me scared. Yet I think I can understand where such a message can offer hope to many people. The idea that there may be a better life afterwards may mean more than I can understand for people here in the bateyes of the Dominican Republic. That assurance is powerful and profound. Something humbling for a theological snob to consider.

There was another church in the batey, something Pentecostal where little children are baptized. One batey two churches…. hmmm. I’ll have to write about that later.




This afternoon we went to the beach. It was indulgent. It was unnecessary. It was very, very nice. Blue water, warm, etc…

Tonight, after dinner, we went to another church service. This time it was in the church here in La Romana. There was a lot of very loud music, screaming prayers, and one mostly white group that sang a timid version of, “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” I think they were afraid.

Tomorrow I actually get to do some work. I’m supposed to be doing construction which I think means getting coffee and donuts, standing around for an hour, moving one cinder block, standing around for another hour, moving the cinder block back to its original location, and then standing around some more. Can’t wait!

By the way – the suitcase was returned. No major donations were made to the mission for our good efforts. I have no kind words for that person.


A picture of people sorting meds for tomorrow... see, we work!

No comments: