Saturday, March 20, 2010

Of Beautiful Days, Certainity, and Forced Description

It is a beautiful day today. I went to the playground with children 1and 4. Child 1 threw the disc (Frisbee for all of you uneducated folks) around. It makes me proud to see him throwing and catching. Beautiful day, it probably wont last.

I have finally done my taxes. The good news is I don’t owe anything. The bad news is the return is very, very small. Thanks Uncle Sam.

I have been continuing to work on my expletive dissertation which is taxing at times. Trying to take data and then explain it in a technical way can be difficult. I am taking the speech-acts of a community and deriving from them a conviction statement. I often wonder about such an effort - forcing a term or theory on something that people just do. Would it be better to just let people live, have pastors, etc? Probably not. The more we understand about ourselves the more we can be deliberate in naming and claiming who we are, or who we want to be. I have meet a number of Baptist pastors who have no idea what it means to be ordained, and their ministry suffers. I have encountered churches that have no idea what to expect from a pastor – they just hope they don’t get a tyrant. It is my hope that my work will help pastors and churches arrive at a better understanding of what it means to be and to have a pastor. I probably shouldn’t make it so obtuse.

No comments: