Thursday, March 11, 2010

Haiti Update.2

Another message from a memeber of the Haiti team

What day is it? I asked myself that question several times today. Is
it Tuesday, Wednesday? Yesterday was surreal we left La Romana the
night before, traveled thru the night, got to Haiti which looked like
another world from the DR, dropped our stuff, ate something while we
were oriented, packed a truck and left for a "settlement." We worked
till dark, probably would have worked longer but there was no
electricity, left and you know the rest of that story.....

Today was another exhausting day. Driving in the back of a pickup
truck thru the city, the ride on the way to the church clinic and back
looked surreal. A scene out of a movie, a horror movie? A sci fi?
Dantes Peak? Or maybe that really weird book I read The Road. Did
the end of the world start in Haiti ? But there are still so many
people smiling, waving, sad, and fearful living in some of the worst
conditions. I am still amazed how clean and dressed they come to be
seen. We passed a tent city this morning, tents right next to each
other, hundreds of tents, but people were washing clothes in tubs. One
woman had a makeshift ironing board and a old fashioned looking iron
heated by a charcoal fire, and she was ironing!! What pride in
themselves, what strength in such a disaster!

To be assessing and providing care is amazing to me. Never did I think
I would have such an opportunity to help people. When I think back to
the days at the Brookdale Clinic and so many home visits with village,
I know now why I was placed there. Who still doesn't believe God works
in mysterious ways?? Also, Thank goodness He sends his angels! My
personal angels are the other providers- Mark, Tony, Zach, Tom They
are wonderful and so supportive. Everyone in the group is great.
Pretty much we don't know each other, yet collectively we each bring
ourselves and our talents and gifts oh and our patience and we work as
a group doing phenomenal things.

Dinner tonight was wonderful. Chicken, plantains, carrots. It was
tasty. Its amazing what Our Dominican/Haitian cooks can do with
limited facilities

You know what I realized is underappreciated and underrated - soap
I have come to love soap. Soap is wonderful especially mixed with water
Soap soap soap on your face , body , feet. I love soap

No comments: