Friday, March 12, 2010

La Romana Day 6 - Don't Get to Close...Why So Distant?


Once again, more of the same. We headed out to another batay to help people. This one was one of the nicer ones, with decent wood houses and electricity in some of the homes. There were a lot of children with a lot of needs. It was, overall, a good day, but some of the children were getting pushy. Not only were they asking for things like shirts and candy, but they started to directly ask me for my pens and my hat. This was crossing the boundaries for me. This was asking me for something that was mine, and that I needed. I have to admit at that time I did not consider the words of Christ calling us to give our shirt as well as our cloak when we are asked (and there are more nuanced ways to read that passage). I was thinking that the children should not even ask.

After work we went to an orphanage, which was a great institution doing great work, and then headed home. This evening we went out to dinner as a group and some even danced for a bit. It was a lot of fun.

I was thinking today about interaction. We are missionaries here on behalf of Christ. If this is the case, then shouldn’t we act in such a way? I’m not suggesting that we all be prim and proper all the time, but shouldn’t we worry about how we will be perceived?

I think this question really comes out of my experience. I do not normally spend this much time with church folk, and I enjoy it when I have the opportunity to relax and be myself, completely and uncensored. Yet, I am still their pastor, I am here as much for them as I am for others. Think of this with the people we have been serving. We want to have fun with them which is good. We want to truly be with them, and yet at the same time we want to serve them and show them Christ. How do we share ourselves and at the same time serve and show Christ? How do we hold to our authenticity and at the same time avoid closing any doors to the movement of the spirit? We (Christians) have a long history of going to one extreme and I’d rather not go to the other. Something to think about.

No comments: