Tuesday, March 09, 2010

La Romana Day 4 - Why are we here?


This was our second day of work – the construction team worked on rebuilding a playground, painting, and hulling cement to the roof. I joined the medical team to another batay to administer medicines (once again I took a lot of blood pressures).

It seemed like a good day overall. Everyone was in good spirits at the end of the day which is a good indicator. It feels like everyone is really starting to find a groove to their work and place in this ministry.

Today I have been thinking about the nature of ministry. We came here with a specific purpose – to help with the construction at the hospital, and to help with the medical needs at the batays. Yet we also brought supplies for the San Pedro school (which some of the youth are going to drop off tomorrow), and we have sent people to Haiti to work there. So our ministry has grown and changed a bit. Today we had some people work with the medical team who normally work with the construction team. While they may have come expecting to move cement, today they had to interact with children, parents, and other people in the Dominican Republic. So why are we here? What is our ministry?

Our ministry cannot simply be to build a hospital, because if that were the case it would be better to give the money we spent on this trip directly to the people in charge to continue work on the hospital. Our ministry cannot simply be to help the sick in the batays, because if that were the case we should send more doctors and such, and spend more time and energy training people in the DR to help. Our ministry is not to make the DR a better place, or even to make LR a better place. That is condescending. I think our real ministry is to form true and real relationships with the people here. We work with the Dominicans as we together build the hospital. We work with Dominicans as we reach out to the batys. We are connected with a Dominican school and their children. We are connected with those who are suffering in Haiti. The relationships are important.

If this is important, then we are not here to make the lives of others better, or to make our life better. If this is the case, then we are here to better the lives of others as we better our own lives; we are here to lift up others and be lifted up. That is good ministry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy to read about the good work, and exellant spirit behind the work. Why are we here, to get saved, to obtain eternal life, to pass from death into life.
Jesus says that He knows the Father God, also comments about knowing Old testament Abraham, even declares to them before Abraham was, I am. I guess that he is saying not only am I here now 2,000 years ago recorded in history. But when Abraham was, about 4,000 years ago, He was "I am". So I believe that Jesus is saying he lived/existed over 4,000 years ago was with Abraham, lived and walked this earth 2,000 years ago. And some believe and have experienced him be here at times in the present, mostly living in heaven, making an occasional visit here on earth. I believe what he says is more reliable then what you or I would have to say. Either he knows it all, or he is the biggest lier. People have been talking about him for over 2,000 years. My guess is that after you or I are planted in the ground the memories and talk won't be around the table any longer. Am I saying let's follow the majority, no. I guess this is one thing you have to find out and know for yourself. We all can make a lot of wind for 40 - 80 years, then it dies out.
I'd like to be with that wind, that spirit that never dies.
Try our 30 Day Free Trial Christianity, at: http://godspace.typepad.com
And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.
Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?
Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:
Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.
Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by. John 8:50-59