Monday, August 19, 2013

North- South Trail, Day 1

In which I remember that there is a difference between hiking and backpacking.

Day 1 of the NST (North-South Trail). It was supposed to be an easy day of only 13 miles. I had forgotten how difficult it is to walk 1 mile with a 40+ pound pack on your back. Tomorrow is supposed to be a 20 mile day. Hooray?

I'm spending the night at the George Washington Campground - at one of their fancy backpacking sites. This means I have to walk almost a mile to get water because a backpacking site needs to be rustic. I'm am not far from a power station and I can hear the road, but at least it's rustic!

Dinner was a delicious box of Mac and Cheese with a can of tuna, and now I'm enjoying a fire (to keep the bugs away) and a tasty Pop Tart. This is the good life.

No revelations (except that my pack is darn heavy), or moments of inspiration. The night is still young, and the sound of the motorcycle on the road may speak to me yet.

No comments: