Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I Have Blistets!

In which I get blisters on my feet and make some very bad puns:

Day 2 of the NST (North-South Trail)
I am going to say that today was by far the worst that I am going to have for the entire trip. I am going to say this even though it is only my second day and I still have three left. Here are the reasons why:
- it was a 20 mile day
- it was mostly on pavement which is harder on the feet
- it was a 20 mile day mostly on pavement

I now have big blisters on both of my feet and I will not pop them. They will not get the satisfaction  of that. There will be no agony of de-feet. (heh)

Tonight I'm staying at a "family" campground that has at least one RV to every two people. This means no rustic sites. I even have electricity so I can charge my phone. The service is lousy, so no face-time or Skype with all of my fandom.

I have realized how isolated suburbia is on the leg of this hike. For close to 15 miles I walked in front of house after house and only said hello to two people. One was a kid running in his yard yelling, "Mommy, Mommy, a hiking man!" How often does he see people hiking by his house that he got so excited? Was I supposed to do something like a hiking some and dance for the child?

The other was an older woman sitting on her rocker on he front porch. I almost asked her for a glass of lemon aid, but I didn't want her to get off her rocker (heh).

Otherwise I didn't see anyone, or people didn't think it was right to say "hello." The houses are so far back and so distant that I don't think they would know how to be neighborly. Or maybe it is because I look like a crazy person walking with his life on his back and I smell. Probably one or the other.

Tomorrow is going to be a much better day. Only 13 miles and much of that on actual trails. Lets hope I can make it.

No comments: