Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 3 of the North South Trail

Day 3 of the RI North-South Trail
In which I almost get picked up:

Day 3 on the North-South Trail

Today was not as bad as yesterday. I did a good portion of hiking on actual trails as well as dirt and gravel roads. Still, about 8 miles of today's 13 was on pavement and my feet are sore! My blisters are growing and developing personalities which is good because I need to have someone to talk to. All this nature and isolation is making me a little batty.

Tonight I am staying at a "rustic" campsite near Stepstone Falls in the Arcadia wilderness. Tomorrow's hike will bring me through Arcadia and into the Carolina Wilderness, both of which I've hiked before, so I'm looking forward to it.

Today someone actually stopped and offered me a ride! He wanted to know if I was "hiking or actually going somewhere." This was not the first time that someone intimated that I was going nowhere.

I'm wrestling with the isolation. Being alone is harder than I thought. I've just started wondering where God is in all of this. Not the isolation itself, but in my anxiety and uncomfortable feelings around being alone. It is a slow unfolding that is not "fun" but I'm hoping will be rewarding.

One other thing. In case I wasn't clear, I'm using my iPhone to post all of these updates. The phone is only on in the evening and in the morning. So far the battery is holding.

No comments: