Tuesday, January 15, 2013

You Don't Know Everything!


I’m trying to get back on track. I admit that this is not easy because I have a couple of projects in the hopper as well as other things that demand my time (like the screaming and crying children around my feet) and a church that wants me to work more than one day a week. But I recognize that my readership yearns and craves my wit and wisdom, so let me kick the children aside, ignore my other responsibilities, and give you, the reader, your necessary theosnob fix.

A local church in the neighborhood has a banner advertising an Alpha series. Some of you may be familiar with the Alpha series. Some of you may have even participated in this program and may now be in the Beta series which is basically an Alpha detox.

I don’t care much for the series, but that is not the point of this particular rant. What gets me is the promo on the banner:

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers.

This is the hook, the advertisement – that they have the answers. Now I recognize that it is supposed to be answers to the basics of Christianity, the simple questions like,

Who wrote the Bible?
What do you mean Jesus is the Son of God and is God and is a man?
Why does it hurt when I pee? (A Zappa reference is never out of style)
Did God hate those children who were killed in Newton, CT?
Does God hate the millions of Hindus in the world?
Why does everyone in this church look the same?

Maybe you get the idea. The Alpha series is supposed to be an introduction to Christianity, albeit a certain, specific, rigidly orthodox understanding of Christianity, but an introduction nonetheless. The promo doesn’t seem to suggest that this is what the church is offering. What the promo seems to suggest is hubris.

Really, you have the answers? You have the key and the solution to everything I have been wondering about, praying about, and staying up late over? You mean all of those years at seminary, doctoral studies, searching and wondering are wasted because you have the answers. Oh.

No, you don’t have the answers, because you don’t know what you are talking about because you are talking about God. No one has the market on God.

Now if I were to redesign the banner it would be something along the lines:

Got Questions? So do we, let’s talk.

Christianity is a journey of questions.
Scratch that.
Religion is a journey of questions.
Scratch that.
Life is a journey of questions.

Christianity offers not answers, but one way to engage and wrestle with the questions. There are moments when we make truth-claims but they are based on faith. We must make some kind of claims with a level of assurance, but at the same time with the honest realization that we could be wrong. That is a large part of the risk of religion (and why spirituality without a community/tradition is wussy – no risk). We are in essence saying, we don’t know, but we believe this and will now journey with that hope and belief.

Sure, I have answers about things like different views of eschatology, different ways to engage scripture, and why Baptists are so stubborn. Yet these answers are just options for the journey of questions. The answers of Christianity are options for the journey of questions resting on faith that we are walking in a way that will deepen our life and bring us closer to God (and to believe in the existence of God is also a leap of faith).

Got questions? Me too. How about we sit down, have a slice of this humble pie and talk.

No comments: