Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Pop Culture Year - Readings


Now that you have had the opportunity to see all of the movies I watched last year, here is a list of the books and periodicals that I read. I have to admit I do not think I read as much as I should and this upcoming year I am going to strive to read more. I have kept track of the periodicals because they have value and should be counted for something.

Books

Fiction: Some of these books I have read because I am working through Harold Bloom’s The Western Canon and am trying to read the classics that he suggests. That would be War and Peace and Peer Gynt. Except for The Story of the Eye (which I would not recommend) the rest are short stories

War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
Peer Gynt – Henrik Isben
The Smile – Ray Bradbury
The Conversion of the Jews – Philip Roth
The Destructors – Graham Greene
The Guest – Albert Camus
La Grande BretĂȘche – HonorĂ© De Balzac
The Gift – John Steinbeck
The Death of Ivan Ilych – Leo Tolstoy
Story of the Eye – Georges Bataille

Nonfiction: I have already commented on some of these books elsewhere in my blog. These are fairly thick and academic but overall good reads. That is except for Cinematic Mythmaking. That was not a very good book. The rest I would recommend for the philosopher/scholar.

A Radical Jew – Daniel Boyarin
Theory of Religion – Georges Bataille
The Sacred Canopy – Peter Berger
The Meeting of East and West – F.S.C. Northrop
Cinematic Mythmaking – Irving Singer

Nonfiction – Practical Application: Activate is about starting small groups in a church and Feel the Fear… is more or less a self-help book. It is important to read this books so I can keep my skills up.

Activate – Nelson Searcy and Kerrick Thomas
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway – Susan Jeffers

Periodicals
This year I did not renew my Newsweek subscription, and I am not sorry for it. I also have a couple of Atlantic Monthly issues I have not yet finished as well as a number of issues of The Journal of the American Academy of Religion and The American Baptist Quarterly. I am not in any rush to finish these issues, as you can see – for the most part the information is remains relevant.

Newsweek November 7, 14, 2011

Christian Century September 6, 2011 – May 16, 2012
            19 Issues

Harper’s November 2011

Wired October 2011 – January 2012
            4 Issues

Total – 42 Works, 5,925 pages

Like I said, I feel like I should have read more. This is a new year and it is my hope that I will get through more books and periodicals. Along with a good amount of writing that I am doing we shall see. And maybe I’ll finish my basement along with everything else.

No comments: