Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Pop Culture Year - Movies


I know I am a little late for lists, but things have been on hold for a while, so here we go. I’m going to start with the movies that I watched in the past year. I have been watching anything that was nominated for any kind of Oscar (including best costume) from 2009 to 2012, Films that were on the AFI best films of the 20th century, and other films for fun as you’ll see below.

First, a couple of the Oscar movies that jumped out as particularly good:
The Visitor, Rachel Getting Married, Winter’s Bone, Rabbit Hole, Animal Kingdom, and Dogtooth.

All of these deal with, in one way or another, family function and dysfunction – Dogtooth at the most horrific level one could imagine (I suppose I could add The Descendants to this list). I enjoyed the action films, they are fun, but not as fulfilling as these movies. This is not because they offer a great picture of family life nor do they all have a happy conclusion. Instead, they speak to reality in such a way that I can find places of connection or reflection with my own life or the lives of people I know. I will say that none of these are happy, go-lucky movies, but instead carry a good deal of pain. In an odd way I think this might be a good thing.

Movies:

OSCARS
127 Hours
The Visitor
Barney’s Vision
A Better Life
Country Strong
Milk
Toy Story 3
The Help
Salt
Rachel Getting Married
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1
True Grit
My Week With Marilyn
Another Year
Doubt
Winter’s Bone
The Town
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Rabbit Hole
Bolt
The Illusionist (Animated)
The Artist
The Tempest
Changeling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2
The Way Back
The Dark Knight
Tangled
Anonymous
Tron: Legacy
Hereafter
The Descendants
Blue Valentine
Frost/Nixon

Foreign Films
Australia
In A Better World (Hæven)
Animal Kingdom
Dogtooth


Animated Shorts
Day and Night
The Gruffalo

Short Films
The Confession
The Crush

Documentaries
Gasland
The Inside Job

This is my second go at the AFI top 100 list. I am using a marriage of the first list and the updated list. As one could expect, some of the movies are on the list because they were significant at the time, but do not hold up today, and others continue to be solid, great movies. Of the ones I watched this year Buster Keaton’s The General was new, so it was the first time I had ever seen it (the first Buster Keaton movie I had ever seen). If I had to rank them I would put Some Like It Hot and The General on the tier, The African Queen and Star Wars (A New Hope) on the second, and Sunset Boulevard, The Bridge on the River Kwai, and All About Eve on the first. Great movies!

AFI 100 Best
Sunset Boulevard
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Some Like It Hot
Star Wars (A New Hope)
All About Eve
The African Queen
The General

This final list of movies is thanks in large part to Netflix streaming – it makes it so very easy to watch almost anything!

FUN/OTHER
Sin City
Bunraku
Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief
The Punisher
Searching for Bobby Fisher
Sheirk
The Lincoln Lawyer
Revolver
Rango
Mr. Deeds
Mississippi Burning
The Muppets
Airplane
A Knight’s Tale
Thor
Melencholia
Blood and Bone
Chocolate (Fury)
Good Will Hunting
Hoosiers
You Kill Me
God Bless America
Extract
Red Dawn (original version)
Paranorman
Rounders
Shooter
The Longest Yard (Remake)
War Inc.
Mean Girls
The Incredible Hulk
The Avengers
Megamind
The Hobbit

The following I watched while reading Cinematic Mythmaking by Irving Singer

The Lady Eve
My Fair Lady
Pygmalion
The Heiress
Washington Square
La Belle et la Bête
Beauty and the Beast
2001: A Space Odyssey

Total – 96 Movies

Just in case you thought I was lazy, I also watched two seasons of Sherlock and all of Battlestar Galactica (the newer version).

No comments: