Thursday, October 06, 2011

Indonesia 7 - The Musical!


Today I’m going to write a happy blog post. No grumbling about weak pleasantries, false smiles, or a watered down theology. No, instead I will work on sharing some of the joys of this experience so people will not think that the Jonathan Malone experience was one of a gray rain cloud the entire time.

Personally I would say that this has been a good experience as well as challenging. I’ll address the challenging aspects in a different post because this is a happy, happy, joy, joy post (can anyone sing the song?).

As I expected would happen, the relationships have been the most wonderful. Despite my gripes about people being slow to share in the beginning of the week, I have had the opportunity get to know some wonderful people and in those relationships I have been blessed.

Here is my conclusion based on everyone I have met:

(queue the lights to a single spotlight on me sitting on a chair with an acoustic guitar)

When I’m down,
When I’m feeling blue
When it seems that everything is falling apart and life is getting me down (at this point a single tear falls down my face)

I needn’t fret
I needn’t frown
But just remember this one lesson I’ve learned
(pause for the curtains to open, I jump off my stool, throw the guitar into the seats, grab a top hat and cane and a full jazz swing band starts playing)

Go…          to…           Trinidad!
Go to Trinidad!
They love to laugh and smile and have a jolly time

Go to Trinidad!
Go to Trinidad!
Where they know that nothing should bring you down

Go to Trinidad!
Go to Trinidad!
It’s the place where your frown turns upside down

Because in Trinidad the Spirit is alive
And you’ll laugh and laugh and laugh until you cry.

Now, you need to imagine me repeating that song a second time with dancers, animals, and sparklers. There will be an abundance of jazz hands, fancy spins, and even a solo tap number.

Then one more time, with synchronized swimmers, a Trinidadian children’s choir, and leading to a big, final finish.

APPLAUSE – APPLAUSE –APPLAUSE; flowers fall on the stage, etc.

In case you didn’t pick up on it, I have meet some wonderful folks from Trinidad (and the surrounding area) with whom I have laughed and have had some very good and profound theological conversations. In this alone have I been blessed and it is not the only blessing of this trip.

I should also say that I met a Coptic Priest from Australia who could laugh and laugh and laugh. He was a joy.


Today we are going on a field trip to the actual city of Manado. I need to find a brown bag for my lunch and look forward to seeing this part of Indonesia.

No comments: