Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Rant or Glen Beck Makes this Snob Angry

One of the reasons that I try to be a theological snob is so I can avoid discussing popular culture, current events, and politics. Clearly theology is above all of that so I need not concern myself with such paltry thoughts. Yet this morning as I read about Glen Beck’s rally which is supposed to happen today, and thought, “hmm, I suppose that is theological and merits some response.”

First lets start with a type of government called “theocracy.” Say it with me: the-oc-racy. Now I am not with my tomes and tomes of books, so I went to Princeton for a definition:

a political unit governed by a deity (or by officials thought to be divinely guided); a belief in government by divine guidance

This is an important distinction to make from democracy:

The political orientation of those who favor government by the people or by their elected representative; a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
Ok, keep those two definitions in your head.

One of the critiques of Islam that I had heard is that they (the evil, plotting, Muslims) want to establish a theocracy instead of a democracy. Yet, the Taliban pushes such an approach and so there is some merit to such a critique. It probably is justified to look at one group of a religion and make the blanket statement that all Muslims are like the Taliban.

Then I found these quotes in an article this morning:

“This is the beginning of the great awakening of America…We must give voice to what God says we must do…My message to you tonight is stand where He wants you to stand and trust in the Lord. If He tells you to do it, do it. If you can’t figure it out, He will. Just do it.”

“My role is, as I see it, to wake America up to the back-sliding of principles and values and, most importantly, of God… We are a country of God. As I look at the problems in our country, quite honestly I think the hot breath of destruction is breathing on our necks.”

These are not quotes of someone supporting a democracy, but of someone supporting a theocracy. Clearly Beck is the spokesperson for God, and should be our supreme ruler. There is no need to vote for things, because we just need to listen to God (who has a direct line to Beck and company) and do what God says to do even if we don’t understand.

How the f—k is this any different from the oppressive rhetoric of dictatorial Muslims who have already gone so far as to oppress people in the name of religion? Just because Beck is under the flag of Christianity does not make it ok; his rhetoric is just as dangerous (say nothing of Sarah Palin’s gun-lovin’ sound bites). Say nothing of the people that Beck and company fears, hates, and would love to see this country without. It is very scary speech.

In a theocracy people are not free to follow God. This was one of the Baptist arguments for freedom of religion. People need to be free to say “yes” or “no” to God, a theocracy takes away that freedom.

I would agree with Beck that America is in a dangerous place but that is as far as the agreement would go. It is in a dangerous place because of the close-minded, short-sighted, self-serving polemical rhetoric that is spouted and embraced.

Today I will pray to God, but I’m not going to ask anyone else to pray, and I sure as hell won’t tell anyone what to ask from God. Bleh!

3 comments:

Lois Ann said...

Jonathan, I couldn't agree with you more. Glen Beck and his ilk scare the bejeebers out of me. In fact, anyone who purports to know the mind of God scares me. And anyone who maintains that God and God's Gospel have nothing to do with social justice scares me even more. So even though you didn't ask me to pray, I've been praying!

I also agree with your pricky comments in the former posting... if the leaders of the churches can't think theologically, then who will?!

Keep it up, JM!

Rev. Mindi said...

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." Susan B. Anthony.

Jonathan Malone said...

Thanks for the quote Mindi - it is well said!