Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Luke 12:49-56 - A Prelude to Getting Angry

Well, this is the second time that I have done this, so I guess that makes this a series. Again, I am not printing the sermon – go to the website to find that, or ask me nicely (like $300 nicely). These are the thoughts and theological ideas behind the sermon for this Sunday (8/15). So for the 2-3 church members who look at this blog, you have a leg up on what will bore you. For the 3-4 other people who just can’t make it all the way to RI, assuming that you are going to go to some church service on Sunday, while you are sitting, restless, sleepy, and bored listening to your preacher you can wonder, “What would the theosnob have preached?” Hmm… maybe I’ll make some bracelets and such with WWTTHP or WWTHP or WWTP depending on what specific words are seen as essential. Probably WWTP, maybe it is time to hire a marketing expert…

MAIN IDEA – We don’t want to make waves. We don’t want to cause problems, we don’t want to upset people nor do we want people upset at us. I often keep silent about my ideas, my belief, and my faith because I don’t want others to not like me, to judge me, or to avoid me. It is easier to keep things calm and quiet. I say that we need to focus on bigger things, and to a large degree this is true. Yet a vague message will lead to vague Christians and perhaps there are times when it is appropriate to speak with certainty and specificity.

On the other hand, it is not helpful to cause trouble just for the sake of causing trouble. It is not helpful to stir the pot, to get people excited and angry, because then people are so focused on the little picture that they miss the big picture.

I preach inclusion. I preach that everyone is welcome in the church regardless of one’s theological, political, social ideas. Is this a tolerance that is too passive? Can there be a church of opposing ideas and opinions or is this the house that Christ has come to divide?

God, help me to be true to my faith. Help me to stay true to you and the path you have set before me. At the same time, help me to realize those moments when I might be wrong. Help me to listen to others with compassion, to keep my mind and heart open while holding fast to your presence, to scripture, and to the faith that I have received. In every way, may I show the love of Christ so that your truth will be known. May I have the courage to do so. Amen

THEOLOGICAL IDEA – At first I assumed that this passage was about conviction and passion and courage, and in many ways it is. Yet, the approach I am taking looks at one’s source of authority for revelation of knowledge concerning theology. The Wesleyan Quadrilateral suggests that some rely on experience as the primary way that God can be known, other rest on tradition, and others on knowledge. Some will then say that Scripture is always in the middle of these sources of authority, yet I agree with those who would argue that scripture is another corner in the square. Scripture can be secondary to reason, experience, or tradition. Or, scripture can be primary.

With all of these different ways of understanding our faith how can we assume that there will be a consciousness concerning God, Christ, scriptural interpretation, or anything. Thus, this becomes a question of discernment as well as revelation.

Finally, Lindbeck, and McClendon’s take on language, rules, doctrine, and speech-act theory may offer some direction. If one’s speech (actions are included as speech) is contrary to other aspects of speech (actions), then perhaps such a dissonance merits further investigation.

2 comments:

Paul Alexander said...

Kudos to people who get up early and post to the blog at 6 a.m.

Lois Ann said...

I am guest preacher tomorrow, at a church I served over ten years ago as interim pastor. The tack I'm taking focuses on verses 54-56, and asks "What Time Is It?" -- the answer, in a nutshell, is that NOW is the time to be fully alive, fully committed to following Jesus Christ by being fully present to those right next to us, especially those who most need hope, a listening ear, love, grace. Wish I could hear your sermon, Jonathan!