Saturday, August 04, 2012

DCY2 - The Summary?


I have failed as a blogger for this week. One week in Washington D.C. and only two posts to show for it. On the bright side, I have posted a number of pictures on Facebook in “realtime” giving people the illusion that they are experiencing the journey with us.

Part of the reason for the dearth of posts was the dynamics of the youth group this year. We had a larger group which called for more energy and attention in the evening. It is difficult to write brilliant musings when people constantly ask questions like:

Can we go to ‘fro-yo’?
What are we doing for supper?
Can we go to Target?
Should we change our clothes?
When the museums close?
Can we go to fro-yo?
How long until we leave?
Where are we going to eat tonight?
Can we go to fro-yo?

As you can see, these questions are tantalizing, profound, and thought provoking. I don’t think it would be possible for anyone to have cogent, lucid thoughts when considering such important existential questions.

Since I am currently on the train on the way home and only have to deal with the wonderful antics of four adolescents sitting across from me I should be able to focus and write something profound.

Overall I would say it was a very good week. Everyone worked hard, were very responsible, and I am glad to say that I am proud of the youth. The dynamics of the kids was very different. The staff was together, organized, and it showed. The kids were much easier to work with. One of the many observations that I made was concerning unchurched children. I was teaching about Jesus and the idea of life-giving water and the kids (ages 10-12) were having a difficult time understanding what Jesus was talking about. Again and again the kids thought Jesus had some kind of water that would quench any thirst and would keep anyone from ever being thirsty again. I tried to explain in the little time I had about forgiveness and the grace of God through Jesus but it was something that was not connecting with the kids. First, the kids were convinced that they did not do something wrong every day. They told me, in all sincerity, that there were days when they would do nothing wrong. How am I supposed to explain the life-giving water of Christ when the do not even think that they are thirsty? This does beg the question – maybe they aren’t thirsty at all, maybe I am pushing a sense of guilt on them that doesn’t necessarily exist. I think this is a good and realistic question to ask and one that we should ask ourselves.

I only got to spend a week with the kids, so I can’t say if any of them are or are not perfect. I can say that just about all of them were “scolded” in one way or another every day. I also can safely say that everyone I know, including myself, screws up in one way or another every day. It may be about desiring forgiveness (or at least wanting to do better) that leads to a thirst. Regardless, it is not easy to try to introduce Christ to kids who have no community connection at all.

With all that said, everything went well. Kids were doing flips in the pool and no one was hurt. We ran backwards races and no one fell or stepped on dog poop. Kids were given knives to help cook and no one lost an appendage. It was a good week.

Maybe we will go back next year, but first I need to survive this train ride. Is it possible to leave a youth in New Haven CT?

Enjoy some pictures:



No comments: