Wednesday, August 01, 2012

DCY2 - The Saga Continues... in Good Spirit?


I’m sure many are looking at this blog and wondering, “what happened to the DC team?” I have not been able to write any  posts in two whole days, and I am sure people are beginning to worry. Well, let me assuage your fears – we did not get abducted by the CIA or the FBI, nor were we carried off by angry, giant cockroaches (we gave the cockroaches the children first). We have been active, very active, and it has been good.

Monday is normally the worst day of every camp that I have done because people are getting used to each other, learning the ropes, seeing what does and does not work, etc. I have to say that this Monday things went well. Everyone from the youth group fit into their role, found a way to help, and kept the program going smoothly. The summer staff has been doing a great job because it is clear that the kids know what they can and cannot do, what is expected to them, etc. It went very well. Now I am expecting that things get worse and worse because I can only assume that the kids put up a front to relax our defenses. Then, when we least expect it – bang! – bad behavior reigns (isn’t that similar to what the Trojans did?).

Tuesday people went to the zoo (I didn’t go to the zoo because I was needed to play Candy Land, lose at Horse, and heat up sandwiches). Those who went to the zoo got to observe kids in their natural habitat – walking uphill – and heard their defensive cries of whining and complaining. Fascinating!

After the day was over we went to see a bunch of monuments, got separated, and walked the distance of two marathons (at least it felt that way).

So far everyone is doing very well. I’m very proud of our youth – they are wonderful with the kids. Today, however, we are going bowling which includes a 45 minute train ride with the kids. I hope one is injured on this trip (intentionally or unintentionally); I will be amazed. I guess you would say a trip with no incidents would be a “hole in one”!

There are some pictures on the church facebook page.

No comments: