Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The "Future is Bright"?

Today my Green Lake, Ministers Council experience is coming to a close. I weep, my guitar weeps, my ipod weeps, there is much weeping. It is always fun to be the youngest person at these denominational meetings. I get to make the digs about how other folk's children are my age, how I read about their life experiences in history books, and how my body is not falling apart before my eyes. The sad thing is I really shouldn't be saying these things. Not because they are slightly cruel and heartless (never stopped me before), but because I am getting older and older, my body is wearing down, and many of my life experiences are already written about in current history books. Really, I should not be the youngest person here.

I read a posting on my friend's blog this morning that stated in the ABC/USA there are only about 247 clergy under the age of 35 (5.10%). This confirmed my own feelings and experiences.

"The Future is Bright." One of the fun presentations at the glorious meetings was concerning a restructuring of the ABC denomination (I'm going to avoid the "Titanic" reference). The restructuring is introduced as "The Future is Bright." Lets, for a moment, forget that the initials for this is F.I.B., and consider the numbers above. If there are only 247 pastors in the ABC under the age of 35 right not, what will the future be like in 20 years when we are all in our 40s and 50s? Is the future really that bright?

In the midst of all of this, I have been working through another riveting Baptist history book Recycling the Past or Researching History?:Studies in Baptist Historiography and Myths, edited by Philip E. Thompson and Anthony R. Cross (I may have already mentioned this in a previous blog). The authors seem to suggest that the "Past is Bright," or P.I.B. for short. Well, actually the 17th century past is bright, the 18th and especially 19th centuries are kinda dim and dismal due to the enlightenment and modernity. Damn Kant, Hegel, Descartes and all those others who pushed their insipid notions of thought. These authors are looking to a bright past for a hopeful future. Maybe something we should consider?

I would like to think that the future is hopeful. Even if we only have 247 pastors to lean upon for leadership (maybe we can make some trades with other denominations.... one seasoned, 50 year old pastor for 3 younger pastors). I don't know if the future is bright, because it may get worse before it gets better, but Baptists are weird enough that they may actually work through all of this mess. A more religious individual would say that we should trust God. Hmmm...... It might just work, but I'm still going to bitch on the way.

1 comment:

Michael Jordan said...

Guess our jobs are secure at any rate...