Saturday, August 02, 2008

Chautauqua - Day 1.... Garbage and Road Rage

I'm going to try to chronicle my experiences at Chautauqua this week - the lectures and the studying that I accomplish (or don't accomplish). Today I arrived at the lovely hour of 10:30pm - long story, I'll just share the high-lights. I had to pick up my Chautauqua partner, Pastor Doug, at Binghamton NY and arrived at 5:00pm. Apparently everything closes between 3:00 and 5:00 on Binghamton on a Saturday, and I was left wandering around for two hours with nothing to do. That was not good, but it got better. Having finally left Binghamton, two hours later than we hoped we started making good time, just kinda breaking the speed limit.
We were cruising, not causing trouble, when another car, which had been behind us pulled in front of us, and defenestrated their garbage towards our car. I was a little shocked, and then confused when an arm stretched out the window and planted a certain hand sign towards our direction. This occurred for about a minuet, and we were speechless - expect for the "What the ----" that we kept saying. About a mile later, the car began to slow down to exit and while we left we saw the passenger, the garbage thrower and hand waver leaning over the driver showing us the same middle sign with a great amount of energy and passion. I don't believe I did anything to provoke him, but something must have happened. It was indeed interesting.
With all of that said, we are here now, trying to settle in and getting ready for the Chautauqua experience. Hopefully it will not involve any garbage throwing or finger waving.

No comments: