Saturday, November 10, 2007

The stories we tell....


I like to preach. I think preaching is a central part of my identity as a pastor, and a person. It is as Rob Bell (from Mars Hill Church) described an art form. So to work on my preaching, I felt it would be good to learn about other preachers, and who better than to learn about St. Dominic. Ok, so there are many others to consider, but something about the Catholic understanding of chrism and preaching as a spiritual gift pulled me to Dominic. So I have been trying to learn a little bit about Dominic and his ilk. To start, I read St. Dominic by Eliza Allen Starr. This is an exert from a larger book, Patron Saints. It is an older and not at all academic work. The work swoons over Dominic, the wonderful miracles he performed, how perfect he was, etc... On the one hand, this wasn't exactly the bio I was looking for - there is probably some truth in the story, but a lot of apocropha. On the other hand, this portrayal offers to me a depiction of Dominic that is understood on the popular level (remember the difference between "popular Catholicism" and "Official Catholicism"). The stories told about Dominic, while they may not be true, speak to the ideals and images that many people celebrate about him. The stories we tell about anybody may or may not speak to the reality, but certainly speak to our own image of the reality. Truth be told, we cannot get a completely accurate bio; bias will always play a part. Yet we are called to own our bias and name its source and purpose. Starr's account claims a part of the Catholic tradition's embrace of Dominic.

With all of that said, not much was made of Dominic's preaching. So I didn't get much out of the work on that end. Dominic was said to take his studies very seriously and that is something I can relate to. So not a waste of time. I have one other, longer, work to read which I am sure will give me more to chew on.

No comments: