Monday, September 10, 2012

With Those Prices He Must Be Insane!




I'm contemplating a different kind of evangelism than what I am doing now. Let me explain my brilliant, aggressive evangelism that I am currently involved with. I sit and work at coffee shops, I don't tell people that I am a pastor unless they ask, and then I don't push any ideas or extend any kind of invitation. If someone actually wants to ask me a question I answer but don't engage for further conversation. This is good, solid New England evangelism that produces maybe 1 person a year to the church (with a margin of error of 3). 

I have been contemplating a different kind of evangelism because I don't think what I am doing is working. Sure, a lot of people know who I am, but I don't know if folks feel comfortable approaching me with "religious stuff."

I saw an article on Facebook a couple of weeks ago about some Episcopalians who stand in front of their church and offer to pray with people on the street. Sorry, I don't have the link, so take my word for it.

Here is what I am thinking. Putting up a sign that says:

Free Prayers - Written or Spoken

My hope is folks will be interested in such a sign and might ask a question or engage in some way or another. On the other hand, I may end up in a conversation with a crazy, conservative, fundamentalist nut. Or, people may see me as a crazy, conservative, fundamentalist nut. This would not be good.

Christianity is supposed to have a presence in the world; in part that is why the buildings look different than the rest of "normal" architecture. This does not mean I should go around with my arms over my head pretending to be a steeple. Instead, there is something about engaging the world and at the same time holding onto your identity as odd as that may look.

I am very much in the world, but I don't know if I am interjecting into the world in a way that lets people know who I am. Plus, who wouldn't want a free prayer?

So those of you in Rhode Island, keep an eye out for someone who might be offering free prayers - I wonder if this would reduce worship attendance if people did not have to attend church to receive prayers?

No comments: