Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Its a 3-Way!

Pentecost is here. We all know what that means: we get to focus on the Holy Spirit! Hooray! We know what else that means – the following week is Trinity Sunday. Fun, fun, fun!

I find it interesting that the Trinity, something that is held as a central part of Christianity, is something that is seldom taught in Protestant churches (I can’t speak for Catholics). More often than not I find parishioners struggling with the idea of the Trinity, not really understanding the need or necessity of such a convoluted doctrine. I have even had conversations with other pastors who suggest that the doctrine of the Trinity was a historical necessity but is no longer contextually, socially, or theologically relevant .

Every Pentecost I hear the whining and lamenting that we don’t spend enough time teaching the Holy Spirit but I don’t hear the whining that we lack the time and teaching about the Trinity. Yet I don’t think the majority of parishioners understand or appreciate the complex nuances in Trinitarian theology. What good is knowledge of the Holy Spirit without an understanding of the Trinity?

If pushed against the wall about having Jesus be God, then we must be polytheists, or have a hierarchy between God and Jesus taking away from the importance of the cross, or we need to have a Trinity of mutual indwelling. Or we can take away the divinity of Christ and things get very easy to explain except for the role and importance of the cross. The Trinity is important.

Of course I’m not just complaining about the lack of Trinitarian knowledge but theological, Biblical, and historical knowledge over all. We just happen to be coming up on Pentecost and Trinity Sunday so that is where my griping will lead. You will note that I am griping but not explaining the nuances and complexities of Trinitarian theology. Maybe next time.

No comments: