Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Obligatory Holiday Greetings/Rant

I'm sitting in a different coffee shop (snif, I miss my old coffee shop) working on my Christmas eve message. Tonight I'm preaching at my childhood church which is surreal, pretty awesome but surreal.
I've always had a thing about Christmas. I'm not a holiday cheer kind of person. I guess I resent the secular world taking over the event. For example, a couple of years ago Target stores said "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas." I was happy with that decision. They aren't a specifically Christian organization and all of their shoppers are not Christian. So they shouldn't assume that all would accept their "Merry Christmas," nor should they be so presumptive to wish it. I don't like it when a stranger who knows nothing about me says "Merry Christmas." What if I'm Jewish or Hindu or Buddhist? What is the appropriate response when someone is wishing you have a good Mass celebrating the birth of Christ and you are not a Christian? Don't presume unless you know me.
I guess the good thing with all of the holiday crap is that the message is getting lost in the world - whenever the message is lost then the church can be truly counter-cultural and reclaim the message. It makes the service this evening seem a little different, like a moment for the rush, hustle and bustle of the world to stop and for God's time to be recognized and embraced.

So for tonight I wish a merry Christmas to all you who claim Christ as savior. To all you who do not, then I wish you a happy holiday - which ever one you may be observing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

$FREE$ ON DEMAND TV SHOWS, MOVIES, MUSIC, GAMES, AND COLLEGE EDUCATIONS @ WWW.INTERNETSURFSHACK.COM