Friday, November 03, 2006

Where does faith come from, Kierkegaard?

Let’s take a little break from the Villanova conference. I just finished reading Philosophical Fragments by Soren Kierkegaard. I have to admit, this is not directly for my doctoral work, but is for a reading group I belong to… but then again, everything I read will in one way or another influence my doctoral work.
I also have to admit that I have not read much Kierkegaard – Fear and Trembling in seminary (btw, I am an Andover Newton Theological School alum). So it was a pleasant experience. I particularly liked the idea of a suffering love, and that God makes God’s self become like us out of love. I like the idea of the paradox as the source of one’s passion in learning and growing. What I am stuck on is the idea that faith is given by God. I may have not read closely enough, but I seemed to get the impression in the last chapter that we are not born with faith (a ludicrous thought!), and that we cannot gain faith by just learning about the historical event. The only way we can receive faith is from God. Yet, doesn’t that immediately make the relationship unequal. For Kierkegaard, the suffering love is God becoming one of us, to fully enter into a relationship where we have the opportunity to say “yes.” But how can we say “yes” if we aren’t given the faith from God? I suppose one could take a universalism approach and claim that God has given faith to everyone, and we just need to realize that faith. We would need to be careful to avoid claiming that the faith is a part of our nature – again something that Kierkegaard would see as ludicrous. We can’t share our faith but only out of our own experience. The individual needs to be free to receive the transformation on his or her own. So where does faith come from, if not our own inner-experience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Philosophical Fragments is an incomplete account of Kierkegaard's conception of faith. It is at best Climacus' account.

"So where does faith come from, if not our own inner-experience."

Kierkegaard (or at least one of his pseudonyms) does assert that faith comes from our inner-experience:

'Praying does not change God, but changes he who prays' a similar quote from somewhere in Kierkegaard's writings; shows that our dispositions play a role in our spiritual development.

Anonymous said...

I've been considering this thing called faith. It's much more dynamic than just a nice hope.
It's a power, a concrete reality that can't be drummed up by us, but we can tap into it.
We have no idea...

How's this for a wild thought? Is it possible that we have a very wrong perspective on creation and eternity. Perhaps we're not passing throught time, but time is passing through us. The chaff is blow away, and the wheat remains. Time will be no more.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Jonathan Malone said...

thanks for the kind words!