Monday, July 08, 2013

The Heat, the Heat, the Heat is Alive!

Washington D.C. 2013 – DAY 1

            Today is the “get used to the weather” day. That means we get used to walking in the very, very hot weather. The whole city has conspired against us by placing all of the attractions in strategic areas where you have to walk from one to the other in places where there is little to no shade. But I am ahead of myself.

            The day started with church. I was preaching at Dayspring Community Church where my good friend the Rev. Dr. Cynthia Turner is the pastor. For some reason none of my group wanted to go with me to hear me preach. Is it possible that they have heard me so much that they look forward to hearing someone else preach?
            
         The rest of the group joined the congregation of the National Memorial Baptist Church where the Rev. Kasey Jones is the pastor. I understand it was a wonder, moving service. I’m glad they were able to represent East Greenwich.

            Following worship is when we ventured out into the wilderness. There is an unwritten rule that states that all visitors to Washington DC must go and see the Museums and Monuments. They are epic. Here is where the plot thickens. To get to these places we had to walk. No matter where we got off the Metro we had to walk, and that is where we encountered the heat.

Add to that the many, many rules that keep us from doing anything fun and the heat was felt.





Luckily a storm was coming (hooray ironic metaphor) and we were cooled off. I’m not saying it was because of my prayers (or my cursing the heat), but it got very nice.





It was good to have a day to adjust before working with the kids. I am going to say we are now all rested from travel and ready to tackle the week. I’m going to say that, but it doesn’t make that true.

No comments: