Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Angry Bag Sold Separately


Right now, as I write this post, I am hundreds of miles above the earth in an airplane on my way to Chicago. I’m going to Chicago because I am on a leadership committee that is a part of my denomination (American Baptist Churches, USA). I am going to Chicago because I am very involved in my denomination.

My involvement in denominational life ironic for a number of reasons.

My age – 39 - I come from the generation of people who are naturally skeptical of institutions. I’m told that we do not trust institutions and I think there is a good amount of truth to that statement. We (Gen Xers) have seen governments lie, we have witnessed heroes fall, and churches fail. Why would I think there is any hope in an institution that had its heyday in the 1950s?

The current trends – In a recent podcast I have mentioned that denominations are, on the whole, actively dying. The institutions of the past are becoming the festering carcasses spread across Christendom that Francis Wayland predicted they would be (way back in the early 1800s). They are struggling, they are scared, and I am very much aware of it.

My frustrations – I’m not the smartest person involved in church life (I just like to tell myself that I am), but I know that we are going to have to do things differently, and when I say differently I mean at a theoretical not just methodological level. A methodological difference would be using a power-point screen instead of a hymnal during hymns (or songs depending on what you call them). The same end is reached, people sing. A theoretical difference would question the purpose of music in worship, how it helps and how it hinders. It would go deeper and ask what is the purpose of worship. I say all of this to point out that the rapid decay of denominations demands a theoretical level of analysis and change and the majority of pastors and lay people are only willing to consider the methodical analysis and changes. This is frustrating not because I have the answers (I don’t), but because the questions I hear people asking are often going the wrong direction. The conversation is mired in the technical. I often want to leave meetings with an angry bag.

Interlude – THE ANGRY BAG™

The angry bag™ is a state of the art device wherein one takes a bag, preferably paper (it is safer than plastic and better for the environment), carefully takes a big breath and then before exhaling places the bag over the mouth. With the bag placed over the mount the person then lets out all of the air in a loud, primal scream. This scream can be one long tone or can be released in short bursts of rage. The individual then quickly twists the top of the bag holding in all of the air and rage and then proceeds to smash it as hard as possible against one hand causing a loud popping sound. This is the angry bag™

So why am I going to this meeting and why am I involved with my denomination? Really for many of the same reasons that I am involved with a local church – as far as I can tell it is the best way to do the work of Christ in the world. Churches need to work together. Churches need to support each other. Churches need to take risks with each other. Just as individuals need to be a part of a church (again, see my recent podcast for more on this), churches need to be a part of something bigger then themselves to be better communities of Christ. I really do believe this. So I’m going to these meetings that will last about 25 hours, see no more than a hotel lobby and maybe a quick peak of Chicago in the ride from the airport to the hotel and back again, and then fly back home, tired and probably a little frustrated. Yet I am glad to do it because I really do believe it is a way for all of us to be better Christians, and until I come up with something better I am fully in.

Good thing I packed 2-dozen angry bags™.

2 comments:

Laura A said...

Thanks, Dr. Malone. I'm glad you are on OUR side! (I mean that, actually.) Laura Alden, Judson Press

Jonathan Malone said...

Laura, what a nice thing to say! Do you think Judson might like to be a distributer for my Angry Bags?