Monday, December 19, 2011

Bah Humbug

I should write something about all of the people who aren't going to church this upcoming Sunday because it is Christmas. Does that sound as backwards as I think it sounds... and we are worried about a war on Christmas. When people make parties, get-togethers, and other traditions more important than going to church the seldom times Christmas falls on a Sunday then we lost the war on Christmas. It is now a secular holiday.

"But I have family coming over." Bring them to church.
"But we have so much going on and I have to get ready." I refer you to the story of Mary and Martha. Who chose the better thing?

I usually don't get upset over people's schedules and decisions to not attend worship. I get it. People are very busy and need to take care of themselves. But this is Christmas, one of the most holy days of our Christian calendar and it doesn't always fall on a Sunday. So on the days when it does shouldn't we make the effort.

If Easter didn't fall on a Sunday would people still attend church on that day?

Someone suggested to me that perhaps the quiet, simple time in the morning with the family is an appropriate way to honor and celebrate the birth of Jesus. It sounds good, but wouldn't it also be good to gather with your church family to honor the birth of Jesus?

Surrender the claim for titles. Surrender the demand that the pagan tree be called a "Christmas tree" because it has religious significance. I don't think people really care about the religious significance or they would be in church on Sunday. Surrender the idea that the reason for the season is the birth of Christ. Surrender it all because we have lost, Christmas is a secular holiday. Joy to the world.

Well, that was a whole lot of cheer.

2 comments:

Charles Hartman said...

I soooooo agree with these sentiments. When push comes to shove, people cave in to the culture and their own self centeredness. Worship of the God whose mysterious grace provided a means of salvation for us is not high on most people's priority list. We try to make going to church/worship less "painful" for folks but we still hold open the expectation that they will commit worship on that rare day.

Jonathan Malone said...

Al B.
Thanks for your comments! On the big picture I agree with them, so we are mostly in agreement. There are a couple of responses I would like to share.
1. The war on Christmas
This is a phrase that has been popularized by the more conservative faction of punditry and the like. Every time a tree is called a "holiday tree" or a chorus is not allowed to sing a Christmas carol I hear that this is another example of a war on Christmas to take any religious quality of the holiday away. I don't think such a war really exists, but the phrase is out there.

2. You are right about time and the calendar. It is arbitrary and really should not make a difference. This is why I normally do not put up a stink about not having church on Christmas morning. In fact I would rather not go on Christmas morning - the quiet simplicity of time with family is powerful worship that I cherish. What riles me is people using Christmas as an excuse to not attend church. It would be like someone saying they cannot attend church on a Sunday in April because it is easter. While going to church does not necessarily make someone a good Christian there is something about the commitment to the community and corporal worship.

3. Finally, I say we lost the war in a rhetorical move. Again this is directed at those who get upset about stores that say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" or that we need to remember the reason for the season. It strikes me as hypocritical to protest those things but not see church attendance on Christmas day as important

In the end it isn't a big deal and no one is going to hell because they don't go to church on Christmas day.

Thanks again for your comments!