Monday, November 21, 2011

There have been a couple of things happening that I could possibly comment on in an insightful and meaningful way. I, along with a number of other very bright Baptist theologians, was asked to look over a statement from the National Council of Churches on evangelism in a pluralistic world. The issue of evangelism versus social justice arose - haven't I addressed this before?

I was recently at my last meeting with the American Baptist Home Mission Societies board of directors. I am no longer a director, so I'm just going to assume that the ABHMS will now flow haphazardly into the abyss of institutionalization.

Christmas music is already playing in a number of establishments. This makes me more than slightly nauseous.

To top this all off, I have started reading Twilight of the Idols by Freddy Nietzsche.

So there are a number of things I could muse over with wit and profundity. Yet I wont. So many things have distracted me from any one thing and I do not have any focus. Something should be said to doing to many things at once and never really being able to focus on what one is doing at one time, however that is what our society dictates. The phone beeps and we need to answer the text right away or our friend will never speak to us again - is that so bad? Someone asks you to do something and you have to say yes or else no one will ever like you. If you aren't reading more than one thing at a time and writing and publishing then you will never be successful. It is almost as if we set ourselves up to fail, but to fail in a thousand ways, falling into a thousand pieces.

This is a familiar rant and may be more for me than anyone else, but then again it is my blog, I can write what I want, and the blog at heart is the work for the narcissist.

No comments: