Saturday, October 02, 2010

Fairness

As a father I often hear the mantra “that’s not fair!” Of course the response is, “life isn’t fair.” It is a standard parenting liturgy similar to the moment when the priest says, “the peace of Christ be with you.” If I ever start a church dedicated to parenting, this would be the liturgy (imagine this said in a monotone drone):

L – You must share
P – That’s not fair
L – Life isn’t fair
P – I hate you
L – then I’m doing my job – let us sulk in prayer

I was thinking about this the other day, and from my point of view, I’m happy that life isn’t fair. If life was fair than all of the resources I have, all of the opportunities that I am afforded would have to be shared with others. I would have to share sections of my yard with others, as well as rooms in my house (and I don’t have that many to share). It isn’t fair that some people are born in a part of the world that is ravaged with violence and others are born in places like Sweden. It isn’t fair that some people are more talented than others. See Vonnegut’s story Harrison Bergeron for a great look at a “fair” life. Life isn’t fair.

There are times when we should step in and protest the unfairness. For example the disparity of wages in many companies between the highest paid and the lowest paid is unfair and unjust. The fact that I have a number of opportunities because I am white and male and straight is unjust. Tax breaks for the wealthiest of America while the middle class struggles to make ends meet is not fair (that’s right, I got political on your a-s). Life isn’t fair and often times this is wrong.

Now we would like to think that God loves everyone the same, and that is true. Yet there is this great concept – preferential option for the poor. You’ll find this in Catholic literature including a number of writings from the liberation theology camp. The idea is that God loves everyone, but just like a parent will go to the child who is sick first, God will go to the people who are hurting first. Perhaps this is why we often say that God is found with the least of society.

Now you may say, “that’s not fair, I have problems and issues to.” You’re right, that isn’t fair, but it is just. If you still don’t like it, you can take it up with God. That has always worked well in the past.

No comments: