Tuesday, July 06, 2010

From Whence Comes the Experience?

I have finally finished reading William James’ The Varieties of Religious Experience. I can see why so many people have referenced such a work and held it in high esteem. Considering all of the experts that have gone over James’ work I am in no way going to assume that I understand every nuance after my first reading (this is my way of wussing out so no one can say I missed something).

James finds the experience of the individual as that which holds the greatest importance when speaking of religion. From the experience derives the doctrines. There is a great diversity of people, thus there is a diversity of experiences, thus there is a diversity of religions to meet the diversity of people and the diversity of experiences. Did you follow all that? Here is what I understand to be James’ conclusion of the religious experience.

“I’m sad”

BANG - {{RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE}} - FLASH

“I now see life and myself differently! I’m no longer sad!”

Yet what precipitates the “bang?” What brings on that religious experience? James, being a good secular humanist (although I think he claims to be a Christian - Hauerwas claims James is a humanist) claims that the subconscious is involved. He do not rule out the presence or the existence of God, the subconscious is connected with God, or the other, or that which is greater than can be conceived, or something. But why? Is it for survival (James spends plenty of time on this)? How is that experience articulated? It is ineffable and cannot be articulated.

Here is where I wonder if James is missing something. Here is where all that reading of Lindbeck, McClendon, Hauerwas, and Wittgenstein have corrupted me (or saved me). I would argue that a religious experience does not happen in a vacuum, but in the context of a community. When one is raised in a community, that person is given the language to have an experience. There is diversity in these experiences, yet they have a unifying core from the community.

We teach that we are sad. We teach that we need something else. We show and tell people how to prostrate themselves at the altar, how to weep, how to wave their hands in the air, and how to show contrition. If we were in a Zen Buddhist we would not have a similar reaction to a religious experience. Instead we would have a moment of -------------
Get it? People have preferences. People will react in different ways, but overall their reactions and their experience is shaped by a community.

What about the non-believer who picks up a Bible and converts? He or she must have had some brush with the Christian movement. The act of reading a Bible brings one into contact with the Christian community.

So, with all that said, here is my conclusion.

James – Good
Community – Very Good
Religious Experience – ummm it depends on the community

No comments: