Friday, January 01, 2010

The Goal of Theology

Happy New Year Everyone!

Ellen T. Charry writes in her article, “Educating for Wisdom: Theological Studies as a Spiritual Exercise,” (in Theology Today, Vol. 66, no. 3, Oct., 2009, 295-308) that the goal of theology is to gain wisdom of God. A great deal of this work is based on Augustine’s De Trinitate.

Basically, in studying theology we gain knowledge that leads to a wisdom of God. I think this is an important point to make and remember that should keep me and all other theological snobs humble. What we are doing is engaging in a spiritual exercise that will hopefully bring us closer to God. This is no small thing and should not be taken lightly. We need to remember that any time we engage in theological pursuits we should do it with fear (awe/respect) and trembling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I downloaded like 10 iPhone applications and only 1 out of those 10 works. It installs but i open up an application that I just downloaded and it starts up then shuts down immediately... This is really annoying me, wtf is wrong?
[url=http://forexrobot-review.info]best forex software[/url] [url=http://bbs.fortopas.com/viewtopic.php?p=106741#106741]unlock iphone[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd like to thank you for such a terrific made forum!
Was thinking this would be a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Hilary Driscoll
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/shrek-party-supplies.html]shrek Party Supplies[/url].