Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Simple intellengence

Last week I heard Cornel West speak at Palmer Seminary. Any time one has the opportunity to hear Dr. West live, you should take it. He was engaging, tangential, and insightful. West made a number of points that were difficult to keep up with and remember, but one sticks in my mind.

West talked about the difference between "intellect" and "intelligence" in popular America. He spoke about an anti-intellectual aspect of America. This is a movement that pushes for results, for data (pro intelligence) but not caring about the ideals, values and theories behind one's actions.

I cannot say if West is right about such an observation with the general American populous, but I do feel that he is onto something with the folks in the church. Think about the difference between the Dmin and the PhD in church life. A DMin is a "practical" degree that you would expect a pastor to get as he or she continues to serve in the church. It is a degree to help you be a better therapist, a better preacher, a better administrator, planner, organizer, etc... A PhD is something a pastor gets when he or she is considering teaching. It is a degree that leads towards obtuse conversations (case in point: this blog) which have little if anything to do with the folks in the pews.

Bullocks I say.

We need folks who, instead of offering a new method and approach to church growth, will consider the theological reasons, implications and underpinnings (or lack of) for church growth. I'm told again and again that the church (universal) is changing. I'm told again and again that the old paradigms do not work. So shouldn't I have a good understanding of what makes the church work rather than how to keep it going. I could learn how to be a better preacher, but it is within the parameters of an older paradigm of preaching. Rather, I should look at the liturgical, theological, and historical stuff that is involved with preaching, especially within a Baptist context.

What is my point? I think West is right with his analysis, and his critique. I think we need the DMin folks (the intelligence) in the pulpits, but we also need the PhD folks (intellect) in the pulpits as well. We need people who can work within the parameters of the church today, and people who can consider what changes need to occur for the church tomorrow.

Finally, this separation of knowledge between the pastor and the people is abhorrent. We need to give the intellect to the people. Lets spurn our anti-intellectual stance (I speaking now specifically to the Baptists) and embrace our history, our theology, our ecclesiology, our movement and be better church-makin' (as opposed to church-goin') Christians. Bah to simple intelligence! And again I say, Bah!

3 comments:

darin said...

I agree with your assessment that especially as baptists we need to put a higher premium upon intellect in the pulpit. But your focus is misplaced on a difference between DMin and PhD. If this issue is to be truly addressed it will not be by PhD's.

Perhaps we need to look at ordination standards that allow candidates to replace credits in the masters degree with 'experience in ministry'

Or, we need, like other professions to require a certain number of continuing ed credits to maintain recognition of ordination and standing in state and national denominational listings.

Or, we need to offer financial assistance not only for MDiv, but for PhD's AND, I SAID AND DMin's as well.

The problem isn't with too many pastors choosing a DMin as opposed to a PhD. The problem is too many pastors who get their DMin and then stop pursuing education.

Looking back upon my seminary education I could benefited from a few more requirements. I could opt out of Hebrew and Greek and so did. My New Testament courses were limited to a two semester intro, A study in Mark and a study in Revelation over the internet.

Perhaps instead of giving prospective pastors so many choices, some seminaries should add to requirements that give Pastors a sound theological and biblical studies foundation.

I think we start pushing people into PhD's we should push for a more comprehensive MDiv and stricter educational requirements for ordination and continuing Ed. Then, offer some financial support.

Jonathan Malone said...

Good point Darin.
Perhaps I had a little tunnle vision. Not everyone should work for a PhD, but I agree that everyone should continue to learn and grow. I agree with increasing the standards and level of education, and the more money the better.

darin said...

Then let me push a little harder.
do you really mean to say 'we need to give them intellect'?
That sounds a bit paternalistic to me. In my experience the process of discipleship, even as it applies to loving God with the mind, is a sharing process. Perhaps I have a more refined theological framework, and am more Biblically literate, but I still think the people do have an intellect to share. Or perhaps it is an intellect to uncover and awaken.
This sounds like a bit more hierarchical view of the pastor in the local church than is part of the Baptist tradition.

I grow weary of the Republican mantra that Obama sound 'professorial.' I want someone as president who both appears intelligent and then can behave intelligently, and I think our church folk do to. But I think we must be careful how we do that, so that we don't sound as if we are talking down to folks or just trying to impress them with fancy words...

Lets not forget that JEsus used parables, folk sayings, and simply and accessible metaphors like sheep, shepherd, pearls and mustard seeds, to present the kingdom.

what say you?