Thursday, September 04, 2008

Lazy Christians, Learning Christians

"What are you reading?" One would think this would be a welcome question, a great conversation starter. If I were reading a book on the migratory patterns of birds then maybe. Or if I were reading the latest political smut trashing one side or the other, perhaps. If I were even reading a cheap novel I imagine one would still find something to talk about. Yet in front of me was Christian Theology by Alister McGrath. Not a very exciting book. The inquisitor, knowing my vocation, was not surprised that I was reading this book, and then made an interesting statement. "I imagine not many folks in your congregation spend time reading and thinking about theology."

This statement did make me think. Should the work that I do, the thinking I do be kept out of the hands of the folks in the pews? Of course not. But it is. So often I find myself falling into the practice of spoon feeding theology, pureed and mashed so as not to risk hurting or choking the "lay folk." Yet the faith of one in the pew is not less than my own. The relationship a lay member has with God is no less intense then my own relationship with God. They should be thinking about Christ, incarnation, eschatology, etc...

How then do I cultivate and encourage the congregation to read and think about theology in a deep and provocative way? How do I cultivate a congregating of Biblical the theological scholars?

Here is the vision - a coffee shop full of folks who are all reading, Christian Theology. Sounds scary. Sounds exciting.

1 comment:

darin said...

Great Idea.
I've tried a book club at church. We've read 'The Birth of Satan' by Mobley and 'Jesus and Empire'.
I picked them because I thought each book was thoughtful, interesting, challenging, but accessible. most people still thought it was 'boring.'
I've tried getting one person who I know to enjoy NT scholarship and theology to read Heim latest 'Saved From Sacrifice' and he couldn't follow the lingo.
So, I don't know.
For good or for ill I think our role is to introduce our people to deeper theological considerations, but we have to do so gently and patiently. My folks are more concerned about paying for oil, paying for chicken so there is protein in their diet, keeping up on the mortgage... the basics of life. You and I know that nuanced theological consideration have an impact on the everyday worried and problems of life, but that is what we are for, to connect them to that theology that they simply don't have time to do on their own.
at least, that is how I see it.