Monday, April 28, 2008

Be Careful What You Say

I’ve just finished reviewing a number of articles and chapters concerning James Wm. McClendon, Jr. His theology is based largely on speech, specifically the thoughts of Austin and Ayer. Speech carries meaning which can vary depending upon the context and the culture of the speaker/listener. McClendon tries to pull out what he calls the “narrative” of the local community in his own work. Some may claim that such an approach is non-foundational (foundationalism being a theory of knowledge which claims that how one knows can be justified and the claims of justification must stop somewhere). McClendon comes from the school of thought which claims that language is a mirror of reality, and that community/reality will vary with context.
Why would I use such a theologian? Because Baptists are low church folk. Baptists are folk who look to the local church and the individual as the source of theology. Some may claim they look to the Bible, but they approach the Bible out of a specific context and within a specific community. Thus the scriptural interpretations one arrives at are influenced by that community. So we need to find out what Baptist are saying and have been saying to discern the reality of a Baptist theology.
This is still a little bit vague, but that is because I am still mulling over what I have read. Today I am going to start to work on an outline – the process of doing this will help to focus my thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jonathan
i started posting on my blog again
tell me what you think
alienationchurch.blogspot.com
darin

darin said...

I enjoy McClendon more in theory than in actuality. I started to read ethics and i appreciated much of what he said in the opening chapters. When he started to do his 'theology as biography' on sexual ethics and Jonathan Edwards, frankly, he lost me.
Same thing happened his book of the same name. Or is it 'Biography as theology.' I like the idea, got a little bored in the book. his systematic theology is still on my reading list.