Monday, July 31, 2006

a Suffering God?

Finally finished reading and the notes for Fox’s God and Communion. If nothing else, it is an excellent example of comparing Eastern and Western theologies - except that Johnson’s theology is not a typical Western Theology. Regardless, it is an excellent work. I am struck by Johnson’s understanding of the suffering of God. It is a place of power when God suffers, according to Johnson. When one is in perfect relationship, one will suffer just because others suffer. I wonder if God desires a time when suffering is not. That would be an interesting way to understand the eschatological bent of Zizioulas. Johnson’s understanding of suffering is the best one I have read thus far that is not from a blatant process theology position. It also has an interesting impact upon Ecological issues. The earth suffers and so God suffers. I think one weakness is that “suffering” was not adequately defined. It is talked about as a power and relation, and then written off as a “female emotion,” which I think is bunk. I wonder if we ought to read Foucault’s understanding of power and authority and then apply that to suffering.
Now I get to read more about Wittgenstein.

No comments: