Thursday, June 01, 2006

Taskmaster

I am trying to prepare for my doctoral exams so I can write a book that no one will leave. Unfortunately, my diligence is less then I would hope, and my reading wanes from time to time. So I'm going to try to use this blog as an academic journal of sorts. To the best of my ability, I will summarize the day(s) readings/research. So all you who are reading this can keep up on the edge-of-the-seat work I am engaged in. Hopefully this will help me keep to task.

With that said, yesterday I read a chapter from Hartshorne's book "Omnipotence and other theological mistakes" about creation ex nihili. Hartshorne thinks it is a "magic" idea that emphasizes the transcendence of God to much. I don't think I can completely agree. I think is polemic is based upon an exaggerated anthropomorphic notion of God.
I also read a section from Doyle's book, "Communion Ecclesiology," looking at views appropriation of Communion Ecclesiology language in things like Lumen Gentium and Gaudium et Spes. The Sacramental notion of the church caught my eye - it is through the Eucharist that the local church is connected with the universal. So how is that different from the Orthodox? Volf's "After Our Likeness" offers some decent insight.

Hopefully today I'll finish the chapter from Doyle, and finish Hartshorne's book. Yet it is my anniversary, so I may not get to read today.

No comments: